Live chat at SheWrites went well today. A disappointing development was when I tried scrolling ‘up,’ to collect the hints about forming a critique group, and found that the chat had cut off after the critique portion. It looks as if the chat function only retains so many entries.
Some chat members helped reconstruct most of the suggestions, but one recommendation, concerning a blog/website that had good advice, was lost.
The parts we collectively remembered were:
Critique group outline
- application to join group
- trial period for new members
- no talking by person being critiqued
- page limit or time limit for each person
- novelists come early to read excerpts
- submit work ahead of time for group members to read
- ground rules for group
- 4 – 5 ideal size of group — ask misfits to leave/or disband group and reform later
I think, though, that the “application” requirement might be a bit premature for a group that is just forming.